Auto Insurance

When it comes to car insurance, you often get what you pay for, especially when it's time to make a claim. We're proud to offer local personal service that's a little different.

Talk to a Middlesex Mutual agent about your car insurance. We will help keep you moving.

Mandatory and optional coverage

If you own a vehicle in Ontario it is the law to purchase, at a minimum, the standard auto insurance policy. This policy offers you and your family basic protection. Beyond the minimum protection required by law, there are options you may want to consider to enhance that protection.

Understanding your auto insurance does not need to be time consuming or difficult. Our agents are experts who will take the time to walk you through the policy options in plain language.

So you can get back to enjoying your ride!

Your insurance, your options

So, whatever your insurance needs, you've got coverage to get you back on the road with minimum fuss and hassle.

Complete coverage for your vehicles

Whether you're taking the car to work, exploring in a motorhome, or taking to the open road on your motorcycle, our auto policies insure a wide range of vehicles.

Ways to save

You could be eligible to save more if you qualify for any of these discounts:

  • Drivers with a short commute
  • Mature drivers
  • Multi-vehicle
  • New drivers
  • Property
  • Retirees
  • Students living away from home
  • Winter tires

Want to know more?

 OAP 1 - Ontario Automobile Owner's Policy (0419)

If you do not have a copy of your Ontario Auto Policy, please contact your agent or broker, or download a copy of the standard policy from here.

Understanding your auto insurance

Understanding your auto insurance does not need to be time consuming or difficult. Our agents are experts who will take the time to walk you through the policy options in plain language.

In Ontario, you cannot get your vehicle registered unless you provide proof of insurance.

In order to drive Ontario’s roads your insurance coverage must include:


An at-fault accident could cost you more than your car. If you injure someone and the courts found you responsible, liability insurance will pay all legal costs the law requires, up to the limits of the policy. By law, you must carry a minimum of $200,000 in third-party liability coverage. You are responsible for amounts above that limit. We have options available to increase the minimum amount.

Accident benefits (standard benefits)

Collisions can happen even to the safest of drivers. Unfortunately, you or a family member may be hurt as a result. Accident benefits pay for medical treatments and other benefits regardless of who caused the accident.

Statutory accident benefits include:

  • Income replacement benefit
  • Caregiver benefit
  • Non-earner benefit
  • Medical benefit
  • Rehabilitation benefit
  • Attendant care benefit
  • Payment of other expenses
  • Death benefit
  • Funeral benefit

Standard benefits apply minimum limits, with optional increased limits available to increase the standard level of benefits.

Uninsured automobile

Protects you and your family if you are injured or killed by a hit-and-run driver or by an uninsured motorist. It also covers damage to your vehicle caused by an identified uninsured driver.

Direct compensation - property damage (DC-PD)

Direct compensation means your insurance company pays for the damage to your car and contents caused by another driver. This coverage also pays for a rental vehicle until repairs to your auto are complete up to the limits of the policy.

Direct compensation coverage only applies if it meets the following conditions:

  • The accident took place in Ontario;
  • There was at least one other vehicle involved in the accident; and
  • The other vehicle has proper auto insurance by an insurance company licensed in Ontario.

If these conditions are not met, then you can make a claim on your optional collision coverage (if you have purchased it), whether or not you are at fault. If you don’t have Collision coverage, you may be able to pursue recovery from the at-fault driver.

You can purchase additional coverage to protect your auto against damage such as:

Collision or upset coverage

You have an accident and your car flips over. You lose control of your vehicle on icy asphalt and hit a guardrail. This coverage pays for damage to your vehicle caused by upset or a collision with another object.

Comprehensive coverage

High winds cause flying debris that damages your car. Vandals break into your garage and damage your truck. Comprehensive coverage includes all perils, except for collision, or upset of the automobile, or damage caused by theft by a person residing with your or who repair your car.

All perils coverage

All perils insurance is a combination of collision or upset coverage and comprehensive coverage. It also covers damage to your car caused by a person living in your home or someone you hired to drive your car that steals it and has an accident.

A deductible may apply to the above coverages.

You can also purchase extra insurance that provides more protection such as:

Loss of use (OPCF 20)

This coverage pays for a rental car or alternate transportation (such as taxi or train fares) while your car is being repaired.

Coverage for physical damage to a rental vehicle (OPCF 27)

This endorsement will cover you if you damage a car you don’t own while it was in your care and control, such as a rental car. This form provides you with collision and comprehensive coverage, which is particularly useful for drivers who frequently rent cars.

Family protection endorsement (OPCF 44R)

Pays for injuries to you and your family from the actions of an at-fault, under-insured driver. This only applies if the other driver has less insurance coverage than you.

Waiver of depreciation (OPCF 43/43a)

This coverage ensures you receive the full value of what you paid for your new car, without depreciation, if the damage is beyond repair due to an accident. This coverage is for new vehicles. Conditions apply.

Talk to a Middlesex agent to learn more.


Auto reform – effective June 2016 – still relevant today!

In 2016, the Ontario government introduced changes to give you more choice over the coverages you want and the price you pay. Whether you're buying a new auto insurance policy or renewing an existing one, you can purchase the coverage best suited to your needs and lifestyle.

Protection plus - protecting your driving record

Accidents can happen to even the most careful drivers.

At Middlesex Mutual we know affordable auto insurance is important. We offer optional coverage for eligible drivers that protects your driving record. That way your rates do not go up because of one at-fault accident.

Ministry of Transportation (MTO) – Ontario's Insurance Validation Program (IVP)

Ontario has set up a program (IVP) through the MTO to reduce uninsured vehicles on the road.

In 2010, the MTO partnered with the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) to maintain the IVP database on behalf of the insurance industry.

What does this mean for you?

When a licence plate is up for renewal, the MTO automatically checks the IVP database to verify that the vehicle has mandatory insurance coverage.

If the IVP database cannot verify valid insurance is in place the MTO sends out a letter advising the vehicle owner. The MTO mails the letter 120 days prior to give the vehicle owner time to decide what steps to take.

If you receive a letter and do nothing, the MTO could delay or decline to renew your plates.

As noted on the Government of Ontario site:

By law, to renew your licence plate, your vehicle must be insured. The Ministry of Transportation verifies that your vehicle is insured by checking your vehicle identification number (VIN), a unique number assigned to your vehicle, with insurance information supplied by your insurance provider to confirm valid insurance coverage, as required by law. If your insurance information cannot be verified, or there is a discrepancy with your vehicle registration number, you will not be able to proceed with your renewal.

If you receive a letter from the MTO, there are steps you can take:

Check the VIN on your vehicle dashboard or door against the VIN on your pink slip and vehicle ownership to make sure they match.

  • If the VIN on your ownership does not match the VIN on your vehicle, contact the MTO.
  • If the VIN on your ownership does not match the VIN on your pink slip, contact your agent.
  • If the VIN on your vehicle matches your ownership and your pink slip, contact your agent. Middlesex Mutual will contact IBC and work quickly to find you the answers you need, so you can get your plates renewed.

Please note:

For illustration purposes only. Actual policy wordings govern. The above is meant as general information to help you understand the different types of coverages. All coverages are subject to the terms, limits, provisions, exclusions, and conditions in the policy itself. Coverage availability is subject to underwriting eligibility and guidelines. We encourage you to speak to your agent or broker and to read your policy contract fully to understand your coverages.